Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Lock and Load

In 2011 I read a lot of biographies.  I am currently reading A Heart for Freedom by Chai Ling.  I love reading other peoples story because it makes journaling less weird.  Over the years many people have either directly or indirectly encouraged me to journal.  My Mom – who gave me a journal right before a trip to Africa.  Jeff Jordan – who made it seem so practical.  Matthew Bellamy – just because his creativity is infectious.  Many more unnamed.  I have journal-ed pretty consistently for about 8 years.  Over those 8 years I have grown to feel strongly that journaling is healthy.    

Some people workout.

Some people juice. 

I journal. 

My journal for the last 2.5 years is electronic because typing is faster than writing.  Anyway the point of this is in two weeks, when we are in Hong Kong, we will be sharing our journal on the blog.  We want to document the trip and each day’s events.  I’m not exactly sure how that is going to go down yet.  We have a friend who has agreed to post emails that we send her should we be blocked from blogspot while we are there.  Either way, we’re taking the laptop, and we WILL be journaling – and at some point hope to post those entries here.

Did you like how I just snuck in that little information about us going to Hong Kong in 2 weeks?

We are freaking out!  Do you know this feeling: For me it is like right before giving a presentation…nervous, terrified, excited, adrenaline.  Or like being in line for a scary rollercoaster…you can see what is coming and it’s crazy, but you love it!  And that feeling hasn’t stopped since we got the call last Thursday.  I remember talking to Katie a few months ago about how we probably won’t get any sleep in the days after we get the call but before we leave.  In reality, we probably won’t be sleeping much when we get back J 

I was at Central Barbecue with my work friends when Katie called me.  It was such a fitting place to get the call, that being my favorite restaurant.  I am already planning to take Jonah there at some point.   He will learn to love the pig as I do, I just know it.  My boss came over and gave me a huge hug, my friends cheered.  It was overall a wonderful experience and I was glad to share that moment with my work friends. 

In a way it feels like there is a ton to do before the trip.  And also, in a way, everything is kind of already done.  The house is ready.  Mentally I am still trying to wrap my mind around the reality of things like telling a 4 year old to not pick his nose.  Or helping him cut up food.  Taking him to the restroom on the plane.  Singing a song while helping him in the shower (which we heard he likes to do).  In a recent update they told us he sometimes has trouble getting to sleep if someone sings to him right before bedtime because he gets so excited trying to sing along that he won’t calm down and go to sleep.  It is impossible not to smile when I think about that. 

It is also impossible for me to describe just how excited we are right now.

We are thankful for your prayers.  Nothing brings more peace than knowing other people are praying for you.  We are so looking forward to this trip and starting a new life with Jonah.  But we also know that some difficult and trying days are likely ahead of us.  So please continue to pray for us.  If you are interested there are a few things you can pray for specifically regarding the trip.  Pray that our flights go as scheduled.  Pray that we all stay healthy.  Pray that he will respond well to us and begin to trust us early on.  And then pray that all three of us would have realistic expectations for how the first few days and weeks are going to happen.  Again, thank you for praying for me and Katie and Jonah. 

Can you believe in two weeks he will be spending his first night with us?  No I can’t.

Here are the dates of our trip:

Leave on Friday February 10.  Return on Sunday February 19.

Next post should be interesting.

Brian

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited I can't stand it! AGH! Praying, praying, praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so very happy for you both. I am praying for a happy, smooth transition to your home for you and Jonah. Keep us informed. You both make me smile!

    ReplyDelete