Sunday, March 4, 2012

Adjustment and Attachment

As all parents know, there are definitely adjustments that have to be made when you bring your child home.  We knew this would be the case too, but of course we had no idea what to expect.  We were married 10 years without any children!  We wanted children during that time and it wasn't always easy, but we definitely feel blessed that we had those 10 years together alone.  God taught us so much during that time and gave us so many blessings.  So when we were sitting in the airport about to leave on our trip I looked at B and said "what are we doing?"  So many things were changing and I was scared.  The thought of the unknown was crippling (but I was still able to get on the plane!).  I had no idea what adjustments we would have to make and we have had to make some huge ones!  WE HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD LIVING WITH US!!!  And for the time being he pretty much rules the house and our schedule.  Don't worry...we are disciplining!  He doesn't get his way all the time.  But our TV shows, music, food, activities, and sleeping schedule are pretty much determined by him.  I don't want you to think this a bad thing.  For the most part we don't mind.  Friday night we took him to dinner, the book store, and Walmart.  We were in line at Walmart and I said to B "remember our old Friday nights?"  Then I looked at the cute little boy sitting in the cart and I felt so happy.  Yes, we have made huge adjustments, but we have also fit him into our lives and are quite happy about that.  He brings us so much joy and we could not have been happier with any other child.  We are so thankful God chose us for him and him for us!

The attachment process has gone a lot smoother than I expected.  Well, I don't really know what I expected.  It was pretty much instant and supernatural.  I can only thank God for this gift of attachment.  I don't think it is normal.  He LOVES it when the three of us are together.  Usually children attach more to one parent than the other, but I think he has really attached to both of us.  I prayed long and hard for that to happen before we met him.  If he gives me a kiss, he makes sure to give daddy a kiss too!  He is also doing very well with our family and friends.  We are being careful as to when and how we introduce him to people.  We try not to overwhelm him or do too many new things in one day. 

I don't want you to think it has been perfect.  There are days when the whining is too much for me!  The doctor visits have been horrible!  I have also been under spiritual attacks which I will discuss in another post.  Overall...this has been the best thing we have ever done.  God's timing was perfect!

Here are some pictures from the last few weeks.


Flying a plane with Grandpa at The Children's Museum



Fishing with Grandma at The Children's Museum



He loves breakfast!


He loves to "drive" cars.  Here he is with Pop.


Checking the mail with Mimi. 


Loving his jeep that Mimi Carlene gave him!


Chase (ShuShu) can make him laugh so hard!!


Hanging out at the Zoo with Samantha!


Two of my favorite pictures!!!!!



Making his daddy proud!!!



Thanks for all the prayers, presents, and meals!
Katie

1 comment:

  1. God is so, so, SO good. Thanks for sharing specific prayers that He answered!

    ReplyDelete